Tuesday, March 3, 2009

If You Sew - What Are You?


Over at the A-Dress-A-Day blog site, Erin remarked on using the term "sewist" for a person who sews. It generated a bit of a discussion in the comments section (see the March 2, 2009 entry). So (pun intended) I was wondering if you are a person who sews, what do you prefer to use as a title to describe yourself? Some options that have come up are: tailor, seamstress, sewer, sewist, stitcher, seamster, dressmaker, (or other?)

Note: The machine above is my little 1955 Singer Featherweight 221. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I prefer seamstress.

fourkid said...

Here is a commment from a friend with another suggestion:

"What about the term "clothier" ... as in "custom clothier" since that is exactly what I do?!"

Mike B said...

I prefer 'sewer' for a male, 'sewette' for a female...
;o)