Sunday, October 19, 2008

Pineapple Scones


I made these twice this past week. They are a delicious comfort food around here - each batch lasted under 24 hours! This is an old family recipe - I know it goes back at least to my maternal great grandmother. I have tweaked the recipe over the years. I like my version best (it is more cookie-like rather than scone), but I will include the original version (the way I received it) as well.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Patti's Pineapple Scones
1 - 20 oz can of crushed pineapple (with all its juice)
4 c. flour (I freshly grind my own whole wheat flour)
5 t. baking powder
1/2 c. sugar (I use cane sugar)
1/2 c. oil (I usually use light olive oil)
2 eggs
I generally break and beat the eggs in the oil and then I just dump all the ingredients into a bowl and mix. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet (I use a Pampered Chef stoneware cookie sheet.) Cook at 350 for about 15 minutes - they will not get browned, but be firm to the touch. This is actually a doubled recipe - I get about 36-39 scones.
Let them cool and frost.
For frosting I just use a half stick of very soft butter, a box of 10X sugar, 1 t. of vanilla (I make my own) and enough water to make a smooth frosting.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Original Pineapple Scone Recipe
2 c. flour
3 t. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar
add 1/4 c. shortening and mix with your fingers. (My mom used Crisco - I suspect that before that it called for lard.)
then -
Drain 1 small can of crushed pineapple (keep the juice) -
Break 1 egg in 1/4 c. of the drained pineapple juice and beat well.
Add to the batter, and then add the pineapple.
350/15 minutes
These are also frosted when cooled.

3 comments:

JTR said...

Hi fellow IFBer! :)

My name is Jessica, and I am a IFB PW in Vermont. I recently started a IFB KJV directory and am looking for authors to post to this blog. Would you be interested? I am sorry to leave this as a comment, but I couldn't find an email address. The new blog is at http://ifbkjv.blogspot.com/

fourkid said...

Hi Jessica,
If you click on my avatar picture by the "About Me" section (it will be a young boy with a baby goat) it will take you to my profile page and my e-mail contact. Tell me about your blog and what types of writing you would like to have there. I will pray about doing this.
Blessings,
Patti

Unknown said...

These look really good! I'll have to try them. :)