Friday, December 19, 2008

T-Shirt Dress Update/New Ministry

The Holt family recently visited our church. They are Baptist missionaries to Sierra Leone, Africa - and they want to take along a box (or several) of the girl's T-shirt dresses that I have been making when they go back to Africa to be distributed to the girls in the Children's Home they are establishing. So I now have another project - and I am so excited about it. I am collecting up remnants of cotton fabric and thrifted T-shirts as I find them in the local thrift stores, and accepting materials from others that can't make the dresses, but wish to help with finding the materials. I have it down to about an hour a dress, so I can do up a number of these over the next several months (in between my other projects!) I am also willing to take ready-made ones to include in the box I send to them. (Make them pretty, modest, and cool - Sierra Leone is hot.)

Sierra Leone is ranked by the UN as the worst county on the planet to live (Yes, the worst - whole planet). The people are in desperate need. Over 40% of the population is under the age of 15 - the long civil war (now over) left many orphans. The Holt's can easily take the dresses with them when they go back later this year - as opposed to me shipping them and having it cost a small fortune. I need to send the dresses on to them by about June - so from January to June, T-shirt dresses are a priority.

No comments: