Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts


I tend to read an eclectic assortment of books and this is an odd one for this day and age. First printed on June 25, 1937, I have a 2nd edition printed July 1, 1937 by Doubleday, Doran & Company, Inc. Garden City, NY. If you click the link above it seems that Buddy Ebsen had a movie or serial based on the book as well. I have never seen that so can't tell you if it was any good.
~ however~
I loved the book! I do have a thing for books written in the first half of the 1900s and this one did not disappoint me. My husband preferred the portion about Rogers in North America, originally released pre-1937 as a serial under the title of Roger's Rangers. Yes, I can see that he liked the battle action best - but I had no trouble enjoying the later section from London just as much. I think I might even make this one of the few books I will read a second time.
As with books written during this era, don't expect them to be politically correct or careful in dealing with sensitive issues.

1 comment:

JanyceR said...

looks intriguing. I too, like those early 20th century books. I am going to see if I can find a copy at the library or somewhere else around here!