Monday, July 18, 2011

Half Slip

I am so blessed to be able to make a half slip for a dear friend. I am not especially experienced at this - yet - but with the quality of nice RTW lingerie going down and the prices going up, I will be making many more slips in the coming years, I am sure.
Here is the slip.
The fabric is a brand called Whisper II, a very soft 4-way stretch. I found it through an on-line seller at, what was, Lucy's Fabrics. Lucy has since liquidated fabrics from her inventory. I bought quite a bit at that time. (I hope when my stash runs out I will have found other nice lingerie fabrics.)
I used some 3/4" picot trim elastic from an on-line store called Sew Sassy. I was very pleased with their service, product, and prices. I am not sure the "correct" way to apply the elastic, but I just folded over the top and stitched it on. I divided the garment top edge and the elastic into quarters and stretched it as I sewed.
For the hem edge I just turned it up twice and stitched. It would be nice to use some pretty lace here, but I don't have any at this time for the champagne color requested by my friend.
I used a stitch on my sewing machine called "straight-stretch-stitch." It goes in nicer than a zig-zag and stretches beautifully. It also looks prettier than a zig-zag stitch. I also used a stretch needle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks pretty! I like it!