Monday, October 13, 2008

T-Shirt Dress

This is a little dress for Grammy's Other Angel. It is a thrifed size 4T tee-shirt that I cut off just above the waist. I used a piece of fabric I purchased in a bundle from e-bay to make the skirt portion. In order to stabilize the waist, a piece of leftover hem lace was first sewn along the raw edge of the tee-shirt. You don't have to do that, but I think it will keep it from stretching out along the waist area. I top-stitched the waistline on the bodice portion catching the seam allowance and hem lace in the top-stitching. The bottom hem is a decorative stitch in the same orange thread used in the top-stitching. It fit well and was declared A-OK by the recipient.

I have 3 more shirts ready for their transformation. I want to continue to do them for the granddaughters - and also make some for busy moms in my church that need extra play clothes for their little girls. There are many tutorials on how to do this on the web. I used this one: http://hskubes.blogspot.com/2007/02/t-shirt-dress-how-to.html This is my first try, and I am a slow sewist - but I was able to do this up in about two hours. I think that after I do a couple more I will be able to get it to under an hour each. They are fun and instantly gratifying.

No comments: